2.16.2011

Student Artist Interview

I've decided to try something new on the art blog, which is: interviews with students!  My first interview is with Ella, an 8th grader who makes and sells her own handcrafted items, and just opened her own Etsy shop!  My questions below are in bold:


1. What is it that you make?  What items are you favorite?
  
I make plush cube animals, headbands, dresses, and jewelry (most are made of recycled material).  My favorite item is my guitar string and pick headband.

2. How long have you been doing this?

I have been sewing since I was in 1st grade, and making jewelry, headbands, and dresses for two years. However, I recently put up some of my items on Etsy.

3. Do you get help from anyone?  Who?

I have had a lot of help from my family and friends.  They give me a lot of encouragement and inspiration to continue making things!

4. What made you want to start doing this?

I mostly wanted to start making and selling things because I really liked to make things that have never been made before and I really like to see people wear things that I made.

5. What are your plans for the future?

I'm not positive of what I want to do in the future, but I know it will be something with art.  I someday want to be in the Renegade Art Fair and even have my own shop.

6. Advice for any other students interested in doing the same thing?

My advice for other students doing the same thing would be to never underestimate yourself and set goals for yourself even if they may seem unlikely.  Another piece of advice would be to never give your work away to your friends.


So, I asked Ella about that last "don't give anything away to your friends" comment... she clarified by saying that once she gives away something to one friend, all of her friends will start asking for free stuff.  That made sense.

I hope you enjoyed our first student artist interview!  I hope to have more interviews with students in the future.  If you have any suggestions for interviewees, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOR STUDENTS:
Please comment as ANONYMOUS, but label your comment (in the text box) with your first name, last INITIAL, and class period in order to receive credit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...